Interest on funds deposited with Saxo
Interest on your account is calculated on the Net Free Equity.
Net Free Equity Definition
Net Free Equity is defined as:
- The value dated cash balance on the main trading account
- Plus or minus the value of any unrealised profits or losses from open trade exposures in CFDs, Futures and short non-future style Contract Options on the main trading account
- Minus the value of Saxo's margin requirements for open trade positions on all accounts.
Additional comments related to the calculation of interest:
- Interest is calculated separately for each currency the client holds. There is no netting between currencies.
- If a client holds multiple accounts in a given currency, a net balance is calculated and the same resulting credit or debit interest rate is applied to all the accounts in that currency, whatever the sign of the balance of the individual account.
- Margin requirements are always applied to the base currency account even if the trade was executed on another account.
- Unrealized PL is applied to the account where the position was traded.
Net Free Equity Margin Financing
Cash collateral for Net Free Equity margin financing may differ from the trading margin requirement. See the full list of cash collateral for margin financing used for Net Free Equity calculation under our General Business Terms, located
To avoid paying interest on your account you are required to hold sufficient cash collateral ensuring a positive Net Free Balance.
The trading margin requirement (leverage) described under each trading product is the minimum amount of collateral you must maintain on your account at all times. This collateral may be in the form of cash or stocks, ETFs and Bonds after applicable haircuts.
Account Value is defined as:
- The cash balance on the individual sub-account
- Plus or minus the value of any unrealised profits or losses from open trade exposures in FX OTC Options, CFDs, and futures on the sub-account.
Account Interest Rates
- The following interest rates apply to funds deposited with Saxo:
- For positive Net Free Equity interest will be paid at market bid rates minus a mark-up on the full amount for all Account Values.
- For negative Net Free Equity interest will be charged at market ask rates plus a mark-up on the full amount for all Account Values.
Interest Calculation and Settlement
Interest will be calculated daily and settled monthly - within seven business days after the end of each calendar month.
Currency Conversion fee
Currency conversions of trading costs as well as profits and losses from trading activities are done using the mid-spread FX spot rate when you close the position, plus/minus 0.5%. For FX Options the rate is plus/minus 0.1%.
The Currency Conversion fee does not apply to margin collateral. Only settlement of actual payments to or from the trading account is included, for example, buying/selling cash Stocks, paying/receiving options premium etc.
The rate used for currency conversion of amounts booked to your account is shown in the trading platforms under the "Trades Executed" report.